At Juniper we write an award-winning blog about the historic houses we’re rehabbing and decorating, we sell beautiful and affordable art prints at Juniper Print Shop, we make gorgeous oversized lumbar pillows, and we curate the internet daily so you don’t have to with our Shop Our Finds feature. Our goal is to be your go-to source for design problem solving! Welcome, we hope you stay a while!
This afternoon we finished the Domino shoot! I’m so excited to share all the projects we did to get the house ready for this spread. We did a few DIY lighting projects and I love how they turned out. And actually, for Phoenix locals, I’ve partnered with the Home Depot to make this project and to host a DIY lighting workshop on July 12 from 10-11:30am. You can register for a spot at the TEMPE (Baseline) location here. I hope you can come! I’ve attended a couple of DIY Workshops before (the one on tile was SO helpful!) and they’re always a good time. I’m excited to help lead this one where we’ll be talking about lighting trends – it will be super casual and hopefully a lot of fun. :)
So for this lighting DIY, I desperately needed a new fixture for the upstairs landing. The old one was a big bummer, and after splurging on a new Arteriors chandelier for the entry, I didn’t want to spend hardly anything on this light. I remembered posting this idea years ago and it felt like the perfect quick solution for our landing light!
I picked up 12 socket splitters at Home Depot. They were about a buck each, in the electrical aisle by all the outlet and switches. In the same aisle, you can find a simple porcelain canopy socket for about two dollars.
After taking all the stickers off, I screwed in the sockets and figured out the overall shape I wanted for the light. What I love about this project is you can shape the light however you want. You can make it more organic and branch-like or you can keep it pretty compact like I did. The ceiling on our landing is not super high, so I needed to keep the fixture short.
I spray painted the canopy and the assembled fixture (which is easier to spray when it’s put together) and I used a little painters tape to protect all the electrical parts. After two good coats and drying time, the light was ready to install.
I also ended up buying a ceiling medallion from Home Depot. I like the way it finishes off the fixture and makes it look a little more fancy. I think it’s so pretty to mix really traditional things with more modern ones.
Twelve of the splitters makes a pretty good-sized fixture that produces quite a bit of light. I used I think fourteen 25-watt bulbs. It’s so sparkly! :)
And I LOVE how it looks with our new wallpaper! Such a quick and cheap project, but I am so happy with how it turned out!
PS The people at The Home Depot who invited me to host this upcoming DIY workshop sent me a link to a lighting contest they did with Instructables.com. The winning project was this pretty reclaimed wood lamp. That geometric shade is made from straws! Very cool!